Thursday, July 1, 2010

Containers working well!


I planted squash and cucumbers in a big pot (scavenged from Becky's tree purchase) and am training them up a lattice in the center. It seems to be working great. I've never had cucumbers before and there are about 10-12 little ones now, with one about 5" long. There are blossoms on the squash plant too. The snap peas in the redwood planter didn't do real well--probably got a total of 30-35 peas off the five I planted (tasty though!). The tomato plant in the same planter is doing great--baby tomatoes and blossoms all over it--and the green beans in that same planter are making their way up their trellis and I hope to see blossoms soon. I wish now that I'd planted the tomato in front of the pea vines instead of the beans since the tomato is now blocking the sun from the lower part of the bean vines and the peas are all done! Live and learn...

My lovely Japanese forest grass is pretty much toast. The cat has taken a liking to it and devoured pretty much the entire plant--leaving just shreds of leaves. Guess I'll put some netting around it which will save it but keeps me from seeing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment